Tuesday, December 2, 2008

CHRISTMAS TREE MEMORIES


When I was a little girl, my family would drive out into the country where we would cut our own Christmas tree. Once we were there, it became a long process. My father was a perfectionist and was quite picky. It couldn’t be just any tree. It had to be the best one out there. We would search for what seems like hours. I would watch people come after we did and leave long before, with their non-perfect tree. Often we would return to where we first started, my father saying, “I guess, this one will have to do!” with the disappointment ringing from his voice.

After this entire ordeal, we would drink hot cocoa and take the hay ride that was offered on farm. The hot cocoa was so warming after spending a good deal of the day searching for that perfect tree. Our legs were so tired, that the squares of hay, which we sat on felt more, like a cushion of feathers.

Sometime in my teenage years, we bought our first artificial tree. From there my parents never went back to the real thing.

I couldn’t help but sense my dad’s disappointment of not going back to the tree farm those first few years with the artificial one.

I often look back at those days. It was more than looking for a Christmas tree. It was our family tradition.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Sandyspider Gifts: Christmas Gifts and Cards


Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Christmas Desk and Wall Clocks

Find more Christmas products at 3DROSE under Sandy Mertens. Here are the links for the desk and wall clocks that can be purchased off of 3DROSE site. 30 day money back guarantee if not satisfied.

If you are looking to add any of these to your site with your Amazon associate ID, cut and paste the titles into Amazon search. Otherwise, they aren't the easiest to find there.

Christmas Designs Desk Clocks
Christmas Design Desk Clocks
Christmas Dog Desk Clocks
Christmas Designs Wall Clocks
Vintage Christmas Designs Wall Clocks
Christmas Dog Designs Wall Clocks